Click the map to view an interactive Google map
City of London Information 2001 Census:
Sports Facilities and Parks
and Architectural Styles:
The Old East study area is entirely contained within what historically was known as the English Survey, today bounded by Central and Woodman Avenues and Adelaide and Dundas Streets. The original land owner, a settler named Noble English, was granted a 100 acre lot in 1819 to which he later added an additional 100 acres to the east. For about 50 years most of this property was farmed. In 1856, he subdivided approximately 35 acres lying between Adelaide and what is now Elizabeth Street into just less than 120 lots, and established the street grid that would be extended in 1872 when the rest of the land was subdivided. Several of the streets were named for his sons including Franklin, Elias and Lyman Streets.
Originally, many blue collar workers lived in this area because the oil and gas refineries, the London Transportation Commission and Canadian National Railway shops were located in this area and people could walk to work. Many Londoners can still remember the rail yard whistle starting the day at 8:00, signally lunch at 12 noon and so on. Engine 86, a 1910 mogul locomotive, is located in Queens Park to commemorate London's 100 year history as a railway centre.
This area is known locally as; "EOA"
Click here to read more history and architecture
Another version of London East History
The Story of Marion Brown
Most of the neighbourhood’s development was undertaken by a variety of builders, several of whom were actually residents. The most prominent builders were the Wilkey and Hayman families, both active from the 1880s to the 1920s. The majority of the buildings were built with local London brick, either made right on site, or at the Brick Street brick making companies. Red brick home builders imported the red brick from Toronto. East London is filled with a variety of architectural styles from simple Ontario Cottage to elaborate Queen Anne. This area has been rejuvenated and many houses restored to their original splendour since the founding of the East London heritage District.
Old East Conservation District
Listed Heritage buildings in Old East
The school facilities listed show the schools located in the area. No assumption of automatic enrolment of your child into any particular facility is implied. Parents must speak to the school board of interest for child enrollment.
Catholic Elementary: St. Mary School Choir and Orchestra Program
Secondary: No secondary schools are located in this district however, H. B. Beal is located on Dundas Street, just west of Adelaide (the west boundary of East London).
Post Secondary Institutions
University of Western Ontario: is accessible by bus (LTC); approximately 30 - 40 minutes
Fanshawe College: is also accessible by bus; approximately 15-30 minutes.